Monday, September 23, 2013

Concrete Pumpkins . . . I mean Apples . . .

I thought it would be fun to branch out a bit and see what else could be done with concrete.

With the arrival of fall my thoughts turned to pumpkins.

Hmmm. . . concrete . . . Pumpkins???

How would I go about that? Time to google.

I found a few concrete pumpkins tutorials but they all used the plastic trick or treat pails. Which works rather well, if you don't mind the face and the fact that there is only one size.

Since I do mind, I made a trip to my local art store to quiz them on what I might use to make my own mold.

I left with a jar of latex mold maker and a mind filled with possibilities.

I decided to act sensibly for a change and start small. The fact that there were no pumpkins in the store to try this out on had nothing to do with it. . .

Ahem.

My niece Clara had dropped by with her Grandma and left me a tiny apple. I was supposed to eat it but, well, it was just the right size.

I had a granny smith left in the kitchen so it was the perfect opportunity to try two different sizes.

Ten layers of latex later I brought them to the outdoor workshop for a test run.

concrete apple

concrete apple and latex mold

concrete apple and latex mold

concrete apple

concrete apple



Hmmmm. . . not quite what I had in mind. Back to the drawing board.



I found these Styrofoam pumpkins and squash at the dollar store. I'm on layer four of fifteen. Now all I have to figure out is how to support the mold so the top doesn't get all squishy and flattened out. I don't think they'll be done in time for my upcoming sale at the Ladies Night Out. . . .

Oh well, maybe next year. 

This year they'll enhance my fall display in the front garden.. At least, that's the plan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

 
© A Life of Whimsey