Wednesday, August 24, 2016

A Storybook Photoshoot

 
 I've always had stories running around in my head.

They never get out though.
They just lurk and then, every so often, demand to be brought to life.

That's easier said than done though, right? How many of us share the dream of writing a book one day? But where to start?

 What makes me think I could even write one?? I mean, my spelling is atrocious, my grasp of grammar is worse and . . . well, I didn't even finish high school . . .

Here's the thing. My parents separated when I was 11. (And then divorced a few years later.)

There were several turbulent years after that. Lots of moving, lots of new schools. Pretty tough stuff for a shy introvert. I moved here just before I turned 16 and finished grade 10 in our little private school. I would have had to finish high school in a huge public school. One known to be rather rough at the time.

 I couldn't do it. My mom promised I wouldn't have to go back if  and only if, I found myself a job. Not long after, while out for breakfast one day, I applied for a job and got it! That, for the most part, was the end of formal schooling for me. (Poor mom. I found out years later that she'd figured I wouldn't have the courage to get a job. She'd thought it was a safe promise to make. . .)

So. Stories in my head, and a story I kept telling myself about why I couldn't write them down.

Stories want to be told. My stories found another way. They snuck up on me through my photography. The Photoshop Artistry course and then the more advanced Awake class I'm taking, began to show me another way to tell a story, one told with digital artistry.

But it didn't stop there. Stories still nagged me to write them down.

So now I am.

I'm combining photography, digital art and words into an 'illustrated' short children's story and Nelena and her girls agreed to be my models for the project.

I hope it will be a good story but, even if it isn't, at least I won't have to regret not trying . . .  (If there are any English teachers out there interested in editing an amateur's work . . . drop me a line. I'll need all the help I can get! ;) )

The first 'illustration' is at the top of this post. I'm also sharing other images taken during our storybook photoshoot. It took the whole day, with Holly doing hair and makeup for these three lovely ladies (the girls got blush and lip gloss!), but my, was it ever fun!

This is the  above image before I worked some digital magic on it . . .


The day began with hair and makeup.

It's not all glamour as this girl can tell you . . .


But she soon got into the swing of things.


Her big sister hung out with me while I created the wreaths for their hair.


Once we got to our beautiful garden, (not mine, this one belongs to my dear friend Nicole) it was time to get into character.



How exactly do fairies act??

Let's think about it with tea and cookies . . . or in this case, apple juice and cookies.

 
 

No photoshoots are problem free.

"You're worried about my wreath when there are wasps flying around my head?!!"


The girls were game to climb a ladder in hopes of seeing themselves fly in their story. Of course there's always a spotter close at hand!


Then it's time for a little fun!

 

We got many, many beautiful images, ones I hope will make lovely illustrations for my story one day.

Until then I'll leave you with these . . .

 
 

A big thank you to Holly, Nelena and the girls for helping me with this dream!
post signature

11 comments:

Nancy-Mom said...

Beautiful Rosa! Now put the story with it, Ruth should be able to help with the grammer.

Simply and Joyfully said...

Putting dreams to reality :-)....God has blessed you with many talents! Beautiful photography!

ck

momofcrt said...

I'm not an English teacher but I used to edit the sermons for one of our ministers. If you need help.....

momofcrt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
momofcrt said...

Psychology momofcrt is Marie.

momofcrt said...

I'm not an English teacher but I used to edit the sermons for one of our ministers. If you need help.....

Unknown said...

The 4th from the bottom is my favorite outtake!

Rosa said...

Thanks Aunty Nancy! I'm working on it! :)

Rosa said...

Thanks Marie! I'll keep it in mind. :)

Rosa said...

Thank you Simply and Joyfully! And I just dropped by your blog and see you've gained a daughter-in-law! Congratulations. :)

Rosa said...

I love that one too Sharon! I'm pretty sure it's going to become one of the illustrations . . . ;)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

 
© A Life of Whimsey