Sunday, October 3, 2010

On Staying Up Late. . .

I'm not sure what's been happening in the last few months when it comes to my bedtime.
Although I am by nature a night owl, getting up at 5:30 in the morning for the last 17 years has meant that I've learned to be sensible and I always aim to be in bed by 10.
Even during the summer when I could go to bed and sleep in late I'm usually up by 6 and still in bed by 11
This summer was different. I stayed up late. And when I say late I'm talking 1:30 -2:00 in the morning.
Much of my preserving seemed to happen in the wee hours of the morning.
Now this wouldn't be so bad if I had gotten back to my sensible, responsible sleep schedule once school started again.
But so far not so good. . .
I've been staying up late night after night which in turn leads to other nights that find me sleeping in my chair during the 6 o'clock news!
Friday night I knew I had to chop up the ten pounds of green tomatoes and four pounds of onions so they would sit over night and be ready to be turned into green pickled tomatoes the next day.
I finished them at 2:30 in the morning. . .
Saturday evening found me tiding up after an afternoon of baking in preparation for finally getting to those tomatoes.
I took the last jar (# 15) out of the canner at 10 that night. Not too bad you would think.. . .
Unfortunately Morgan, Sarah and Jesse were stuck out on a lonely highway hours from home with a flat tire and I just couldn't bring myself to go to bed until they were home safe and sound.
Which happened at 12:45am!
And now here it is 11:15 and I'm still up.
Any body out there have any good ideas on how I might get back to a sensible, responsible bedtime???
No?
Me neither.
Sigh.
Well I had better go to sleep right now because mom's going to be over after my morning run and we are going to be making a canning a lot of apple sauce. . .
During the day!!!

4 comments:

Tamara Jansen said...

I hope you get back on your regular schedule soon. Although, if you wake up at 6 when you are here, you may as well just get up and make us all breakfast. I like ham and cheese omlettes :)

Colleen said...

I like staying up late too, but don't always have the kids napping at the same time during the day, and therefore don't always get my quick snooze. Then I regret staying up so late!

momofcrt said...

Actually Rosa, if you take a natural sleep hormone called Melatonin at the same time every night for a couple of weeks, you'll rework your wake/sleep cycle. It's recommended by pediatricians for children with sleep issues.
It's inexpensive and works well.
Just a suggestion :-)

Rosa said...

Thanks Marie!
I'm going to give that a try.
Holly, who suffers terribly from insomnia,will probably be interested too!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

 
© A Life of Whimsey