Monday, October 29, 2012

Today Started Out A Bit Weepy. . .

My morning started early, with a call from the hospital nurse.

I needed to do my pre admission over the phone. It was 7:30 am. We went over my medications, exactly what the surgery entailed and things to remember for my recovery when I come home from the hospital.

"This is pretty hard" she said.

I agreed and the weepiness began.

The reality was really starting to set in and it became quite difficult to stop thinking about it and just focus on the positive. Thankfully, my sister-in-law Dorothy dropped by to keep me company, although, she may have regretted it as she ended up vacuuming my whole house!

Thank you Dorothy!

And then my other sister-in-law Evelyn came by and dropped off supper. Pulled pork on buns.

Yumm. . .

I got messages of encouragement all morning, which was lovely, although some of the messages brought tears to my eyes. . . but in a good way.

Not long after Dorothy left, Nicole came. She was there to take me to my Cat scan and keep me company.

When we got to the hospital I was given 32 oz of water and told to drink it up within 20 minutes.

Gulp!  I mean. . . Seriously? 32 oz???

We also had to watch a 5 minute film about the possible sides effects of the dye they would be injecting before the Cat scan. We had quite a laugh as they talked about the 1 in 70,000 chances of a reaction, or, in more familiar terms, about the same as being in an accident while driving from Edmonton to Calgary and back. We both mocked the necessity of such a thing, because , really, what are the chances???

A nurse brought me in to get an iv going and we began to talk about what was wrong with me and details of the surgery I would be having.

All of a sudden I felt warm all over and the thought flashed through my brain that I was already in the 20% . . .
(my dermatologist told me after the initial visit that there was an 80% chance that they would excise the area my mole was in and the lymph nodes and everything would come back clean. Thus the 20%. . .)

 So, who's to say I wasn't the 1 in 70,000?

And that's when I started to feel hotter, queasy and like everything was falling away.

Yes indeed.

 I passed out.

I felt mortified!

The nurses were wonderful and just kept coming by my stretcher asking if I was feeling better and, after a box of apple juice, I was!

Only the second time I my life that I have fainted.

After that, lying on the bed for the Cat scan and having the dye injected was a breeze.

 There came a really cool part when the cat scan machine, which  reminded of of a star gate, started whirring and I totally thought "Hey it's just like something from Star Trek! This is so cool!"

Because sometimes I'm a dork.

Once I was done, Nicole drove me home and we grabbed a quick bite to eat.

I spent the rest of the day just hanging out, with a quick trip to the grocery store for some last minute perishables.

It's nearly 11 pm and I have an hour before I have to stop all eating and drinking, including water.

But not to worry.

I saved my favorite donut and have big plans to party with a cup of tea and donut at 11:30.

Because there is nothing like a good party. . . or a good donut. . .

I will have some scheduled posts over the next week although Henry is going to phone my friend Ev tomorrow and she will be updating you all on this blog as to how I'm doing.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It is immensely  comforting to know how many people and prayer groups are praying for me.

God is truly gracious.


Anonymous said...

Rosa, we have never met but we attend Willoughby church so know your sisters and their families. We also know people in the Edmonton area. We will pray for you tomorrow and also for the surgeon. May our LORD be with you and your family in the days to come.
Alida VanderHorst

Hetty said...

Hey Rosa, thinking and praying for you today especially. Wish i could be there to provide meals and hugs and services like Evelyn and Dorothy, how nice of them! How great to be part of a big family and big church community at a time like this. May the surgery go well, may the hands of the surgeon be blessed, and may your recovery be more speedy than predicted. And may the results of what they find be excellent news, and don't think about that 20% thing! with love, Hetty

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosa - what a blessing to be surrounded by family/church family and friends. Praying for you that God will guide the hands of the surgeons and give you a good recovery....and an extra measure of patience during this time.


Anonymous said...

Dearest Rosa,

You have been in our evening prayers and we will continue to bring your needs and those of your family before the presence of our ever faithful God.

I am still waiting for that book you were going to write :)...although these blogs could certainly become your own book to be!!! Thanks for sharing your delightful insights into the beauty of life.

Don and Ruth Van Velzen

Rebecca G. said...

Rosa, I'm loving your blog! I've read a couple posts you've done about your surgery and then veered off to read some of your other posts. I love them! I pray the surgery was successful. I will keep you in our family prayers and I will definitely be checking out your blog in the future. :) Definitely a step up from bus driving! ;)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

© A Life of Whimsey